It’s day 4 of Get Healthy Co-op Style! Today UA member and health coach Kim Wilson provides you with 3 different types of healthy smoothie recipes.
Please follow along, join us, blog, tweet and Facebook about it and be sure to use hashtag #GetHealthyCoopStyle.
* * *
Go Ahead, Get Your Smoothie On!
by Kim Wilson, Health Coach
I am a big fan of smoothies! They provide a powerful boost of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and other nutrients without slowing down your digestive system. And because you are eating natural, organic, whole foods (from your UA share of course) in the most ideal form for your digestion and nutrient absorption, you will have more energy to get things done and enjoy your day. Doesn’t that sound awesome?
Today I am going to discuss the 3 different kinds of smoothies and why each one is important.
Feel free to double the recipes of any of the smoothies below and put the leftover in a mason jar to save for later as a snack when you are on the run. As I like to say, “Cook once, eat twice!”
- The Cleansing Smoothie: This smoothie is my favorite because it is 75% dark leafy vegetables! With just veggies and fruit and no added protein or fat, your body can absorb the nutrients quickly and also eliminate toxins more easily. This smoothie will help your skin glow and leave you feeling energized and light! My favorite cleansing green smoothie recipe was featured in yesterday’s post.
Kim’s cleansing green smoothie
- The Protein Smoothie: A smoothie with added protein is perfect for active individuals who work out a lot. Adding nuts or protein powder to a smoothie can help repair and build muscle and improve strength and exercise performance. My favorite protein powder is Vega Sport Performance (vanilla) because it is plant based with no soy, gluten, dairy or artificial ingredients.
- The Dessert Smoothie: Instead of choosing a cupcake or cookie when you have a sugar craving, make a dessert smoothie! The key ingredient here is frozen banana because frozen bananas make everything taste sweet and creamy! I love a strawberry milkshake, so my favorite dessert smoothie is the Strawberry Fields Smoothie from one of my favorite new books, Crazy Sexy Kitchen by Kris Karr.
Kim’s Perfect Protein Smoothie
- 1 pack of Vega Sport Performance Vanilla Protein Powder
- 2 cups of Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- ½ cup of frozen blueberries
- 1 banana
- 1 cup of green veggies (spinach, kale or Swiss chard are great choices)
Blend and enjoy!
Strawberry Fields Smoothie
from Kris Karr’s book, Crazy Sexy Kitchen
- 3 cups cashew or nondairy milk of your choice
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 small orange, peeled
- 1 banana
- 11/2 cups loosely packed spinach
Blend and enjoy!
* * *
Kim Wilson Pollock is a Certified Holistic Health & Wellness Consultant dedicated to helping busy individuals live a healthier lifestyle. She received her certification through the Institute for Integrative Nutrition. Kim’s life changed in 2006 when her mother was diagnosed with stage four ovarian cancer. Her mom decided to fight her cancer through nutrition by changing her diet and eating real foods, juicing green vegetables and creating delicious green smoothies and Kim was quick to join her mom in this new lifestyle! Visit her at [www.kimwilsonhealthcoach.com]. Follow Kim on Facebook and Twitter.