It’s day 11 of Get Healthy Co-op Style! Today, UA member and Health Coach Kim Wilson shares how to make your own nutritious almond milk – it’s easier than you think!
Please follow along, join us, blog, tweet and Facebook about it and be sure to use hashtag #GetHealthyCoopStyle.
* * *
Easy Breezy Almond Milk
by Kim Wilson, Health Coach
What is better than enjoying almond milk in your oatmeal or morning tea? Making your own almond milk of course! Forget the store-bought version. All you need are almonds, water and some maple syrup (oh, and a high powered blender helps too)!
Almond milk is low in calories, vitamin rich and high in calcium. Drink up!
- 1 cup of organic raw almonds (soaked in water overnight)
- 3 cups of water
- 1-2 TBS maple syrup
- Hand strainer
- Big bowl or 32 oz measuring glass
- The night before, put your raw almonds in a bowl and cover with filtered water. Cover and let soak overnight.
- The next day, drain the soaked almonds. Combine 3 cups fresh water, maple syrup and soaked almonds in a high-powered blender (I use a Vita-Mix).
- Mix for 45 seconds.
- Set hand strainer on top of a big bowl or measuring glass.
- Pour the liquid into the strainer, using a spoon to press the liquid through into the bowl.
- Throw away the “almond meal” that is left behind and enjoy the delicious almond milk.
The almond milk lasts about 1 week in the fridge.
Stop by Urban Acres this Saturday, January 19th between 11 am and 1 pm and learn how to make almond milk, green juice and green smoothies! I will be giving a quick talk about the benefits of juicing and making green smoothies and will also be giving out yummy samples of my recipes!
* * *
Kim Wilson Pollock is a Certified Holistic Health & Wellness Consultant dedicated to helping busy individuals live a healthier lifestyle. She received her certification through the Institute for Integrative Nutrition. Kim’s life changed in 2006 when her mother was diagnosed with stage four ovarian cancer. Her mom decided to fight her cancer through nutrition by changing her diet and eating real foods, juicing green vegetables and creating delicious green smoothies and Kim was quick to join her mom in this new lifestyle! Visit her at [www.kimwilsonhealthcoach.com]. Follow Kim on Facebook and Twitter.