The understatement of the year: IT’S HOT!!!! With it being over 100* outside, we thought you might need some reminders on how to revive your fragile lettuce and other greens if they wilt before you can get them home.
How to revive wilted greens:
If your greens start to wilt, here’s a simple, easy way to revive them…
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and ice cubes and immerse the greens in the water for several minutes.
- Remove the greens from the bowl and they will be perked up and crisp again.
- Drain carefully on towels, or run individual leaves through a salad spinner to remove the moisture.
- Eat immediately, or follow the following storage tips.
How to keep greens fresh:
- Do not, we repeat, DO NOT store greens on the counter top unrefrigerated, or just throw them on a shelf in the fridge! They will surely wilt and go bad quickly.
- DO wrap lettuce or greens in a dry paper towel and place in plastic bag in the fridge. The paper towel will absorb any excess moisture that makes the lettuce rot and will keep it fresher for much longer.
- Here is another plastic-free way to store greens in the fridge crisper drawer, lined with dish towels.