One of our awesome members, Jenni Stolarski, sent this recipe for turnips that she loves.
This dish reheats well as the turnips absorb the flavors…great for making ahead. If you need a use for that Swiss Chard or Kale in your coop bin, you can substitute them for the broccoli. Equally yummy! – Jenni Stolarski
Turnips, Broccoli and Sausage
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 lbs of Turnips, sliced bite-sized
- 1 lb Broccoli, bite sized florets
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb Italian Sausage*
*Use mild or hot Italian sausage. Sausage comes in casing or in bulk. If using sausage in casing, slice before adding. If using bulk, break it up as it cooks.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil with salt.
- Add turnips and broccoli. Cook covered, for 4-5 minutes, then drain turnips and broccoli.
- In same pot, melt the butter and return the turnips and broccoli to pot.
- Add sausage and pepper, stirring occasionally, until sausage is cooked throughout. Serve warm.
Thanks for sharing, Jenni! Looks great!
And here are some previous posts/recipes on Turnips as well: